Friday, June 11, 2010

Etsy Inspired Challenge By Chriss HIrd




Hi!  So here I am posting my first creation as a new Design Team member, and I'm so excited!  When I saw this gorgeous piece of art/jewellry created by ccvalenzo for Etsy, the hamster wheel that is my brain started squeaking right away!  Here's the inspiration piece:


...and here's what I came up with:


The pics are blurred out because the actual subject was not available at the time to give me permission to post the photo, so Daddy-o did, as long as I blurred it.  Totally understandable, you can't be too careful these day.  Thanks for the thumbs up!  Anyways, when I saw the inspiration piece, I knew what paper I wanted to use and that I wanted to do a canvas.  Here's some details:


I made the calla lily and leaf from cardstock.  Click here for the link to the Martha Stewart template I used to create it.  I stamped the script, then spritzed with a fine mist, scrunched it up, then opened it and flattened, then let it dry.  The glass beads are on a hat pin, stuck down the middle of the lily and wrapped with ribbon.  Next, I sprayed the flower with Glimmer Mist.  After it had dried, I painted it, inside and out, with Diamond Glaze to protect it and ensure it would keep it's shape.  A few other little embellishments complete the look I was going for.

                                       

I'm also loving this folded ribbon technique right now; it's easy, interesting and adds dimension!  To form the pleats, lay down a strip of double sided tape.  Start the pleat by folding under the left side edge of the ribbon and press it into the tape.  Then with each fold, again, press into the tape to secure.

Some other techniques/products I used include sanding, inking, Cuttlebug embossing folders and dry brushing ( with a great can of silver spray paint!  I love to get out the spray paint, reminds me of my rebel days! LOL!)

I hope I've given you some ideas here on how to get creative with what's in your stash!  Have fun with this week's challenge - I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!


4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful!! So much rich detail and texture! Amazing techniques too - thanks so much for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it IRL and it is stunning. Well done Chrissann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chriss ... this is just so gorgeous! love love love the flower, thanks for sharing the link ... beautiful details on this one ... the pleated ribbon looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paper pleating? of course Chriss would think of this!! That flower is beautiful. Talented and smart...that's Chriss.

    Can't wait to see what she creates next.

    ReplyDelete